Thursday, October 23, 2014

10-23-2014 Entry #2: Coming Out Publicly on Facebook


So after writing the entry this morning I decided that the time had come for me to be bold and to stop hiding who and what I am from my network of friends. Because of this, I decided that I was going to come out publicly on Facebook (with the exception of my family and in-laws) as being transgender. Writing the status update was rather nerve wracking and took a long time, but the response I’ve gotten from my friends has just been astounding. I have yet to have anyone say anything negative, and almost all of those who’ve responded (even some that I really didn’t expect to be supportive) have been very kind and loving towards me. So many of them are accepting me as Emma without reservation and without confusion. As far as I can tell, I haven’t lost any friends yet (I expect some will decide they don’t want to associate with me, particularly some of my Mormon friends). The world really is a different place, even from just 10 years ago. At the age of 19 I would have never dreamed that I’d find love and support from so many despite being a transwoman.

I cannot express enough how wonderful it’s been to know that there are people out there who will accept me no matter what gender I am. I feel blessed and I really hope that one day I can return the good karma to others like myself. I doubt many will ever really care about my story, but if I’m given the opportunity to serve as role model for other transgender people I fully intend to take it. The world needs to know that there are so many of us, hiding and wishing we could just come out to be who we are and I plan on showing the world that I’m not afraid to be a “gender outlaw” as Kate Barnstein says.

I am Emma, and the walls of this closet are starting to crumble as I become more and more proud of who and what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment